There’s a bunch of people who teach “marketing yourself as a speaker,” “branding,” and maybe (although very unlikely) crafting your story, too.
Here’s what I implore you to ask yourself:
What evidence can you SEE that says they are speaking regularly?
Do they practice what they preach?
What elements in their background show you they can help you craft your story and nail down your brand?
What are their beliefs about the speaking world and how to breakthrough?
Every time I’ve jumped into a course or private coaching program, I chose someone who was 5 to 10 steps ahead of me.
I did not choose to work with a 20-year guru for two specific reasons:
Their problems are not my current problems; they are extremely far ahead. I actually want someone who’s not too far removed from where I am… so they can give solid and current guidance.
And speaking of that…
What a guru struggled with breaking into the industry 20 years ago, is different in many aspects compared to today. Some pieces the same, other pieces not (remember, there was no social media, LinkedIn to boost your visibility)
My game plan?
It’s simple (not to be mistaken with easy)
I have a 360-approach to speaking, which I find works for me and those I work with:
- Emphasis on confidence building (most people think they have a “speaking fear,” but it’s typically an issue with confidence). We must breakthrough through this first.
- Crafting a story that aligns with your expertise, who you are and the audience’s needs/values
- Massive outreach through my strategic R.O.C.S method
- Visibility and branding awareness on social media
- Moving people from the stage into my tribe in a non-salesy way and making ongoing offers for years to come (to now a warm audience;)
- Rinse and Repeat ^^^
This has led to multiple streams of income, incredible relationships and more speaking opportunities. Yes, 2020 is going to be fiyah
And if you’re following me, you also know, that you have unique access to me to ask questions, pick my brain, free trainings revealing REAL tips and yes, the ability to join my lives in real time (not pre-recorded)
Good thing I’m not a 20-year guru